Re: Need some tips on building Debian packages

Hello,

On Fri, 30 May 2008, Paul Johnson wrote:
> I've been asking around for help on building debian packages.

> changes, and all of those fiddles were getting wrapped up into the one
> big diff file, making it impossible to figure out who did what.

One possible reason to do this is that the person/machine doing a
build from source requires *no* tools other than compilers and make
(and the library dependencies). In order to keep track of the patches
applied, there has been a suggestion that these patches be kept
inside the debian/ directory sorted by topic. (Thereby the size of
the .diff.gz is roughly doubled.)

A more common approach is to use debian/patches and then have the
patches applied using some patch management tool. Note that in this
case the build process depends on this patch management tool.

> And the Debian diff for the package would then pick up all the
> rcs files, right?

dpkg-source (which is called by *-buildpackage) has the -i and -I
options to ignore certain files/directories.

> That process creates a bunch of files that should NOT be included in
> the Debian diff file, such as changes in config.sub or such, but the
> Debian package does include those things.

You can remove them in the "clean" target. The rule to remember is
that the Debian .diff.gz will *not* track files that are removed from the
upstream source during the build process. So you can safely
regenerate autogenerated upstream files and then remove them if you
do not want these changes to go into the diff.

Regards,

Kapil.