Re: gerris/gts: lots of doubts...

On Tuesday 27 May 2008, Ruben Molina wrote:

Hi,

> How can I know what other packages depends on my library for test them
> too?

You can use `apt-rdepends -r lib'; where lib is the package with the shared
objects other packages depend on, not the -dev one they might build-depend
on. But checking these is a tedious and error prone work (consider libc6 for
example;-), so you are better off monitoring the ABI and API breakages in
library's new releases and watch for upstream bumping the sonames where
needed. An exhaustive guide with advices and best practices wrt library
packaging could be found at:

http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/column/libpkg-guide/

> > A package split? Not that hard - ensure you get the Replaces: and
> > possibly Conflicts: correct and then move lines between foo.install and
> > bar.install. (You are using debhelper? If not, do so.)
>
> Thank you! I do it, and it's working now.
>
> > > Anyway, should I work in this outdated
> > > stable?
> >
> > No. Only work with working packages - both ends.
>
> OK. I focused my work on the latest snapshots. As I said before, I
> tested the new package of libgts with gerris and seems to work properly,
> but need testing with other packages depending on gts. I'm still
> preparing man pages for this package.
>
> Thanks again.

Thanks for your work.

fingerprint 1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB