gerris/gts: lots of doubts...

Dear mentors,

Some days ago I filed and ITP on the orphaned package gerris [1], and
then I found I depends on the also orphaned gts [2], so I filed an ITP
for this too.

[1] http://gfs.sourceforge.net/
[2] http://gts.sourceforge.net/

I need *lots* of help here...

This two packages come from the same upstream.

For gerris, current debian versions is 0.6.0 and current *stable* from
upstream is 0.9.2.  For gts, current debian version is the same as
current *stable* from upstream.

The first thing I tried was to package the latest stable gerris using
the latest stable gts. I doesn't work, lots of undefined symbols...

Looking at the upstream website, I found that maintainer decided 2 years
ago, to change his release policies, so he is not releasing stable
tarballs anymore, and this two packages (and a new one, related) are
available as daily snapshots. The upstream is very active, and latest
changes on gerris just two weeks ago.

Upstream provides debian/ubuntu snapshot packages, automatically
generated. Surely, this packages needs some work to be compliant with
debian policies, but I don't know if I should try to work on this with
upstream, because this packages aren't stables anyway.  I need some help
with your opinions...

Looking in popcon I found there are more gts users than gerris users
(500+:25), so I tried some cleaning on the current (stable) gts package,
anyway.

This package includes: libgts-0.7-5, libgts-dev, and libgts-doc. After
some work I finally got an *almost* clean lintian output. I said almost
because I added some overrides from some manpages, being installed by
the libgts-doc package.

An I said manpages because I'm adding some as needed (Still working on
it, dummy manpages for now). This package includes some binaries related
with this library. This should be put alone in a fourth package, maybe
gts-tools... I fact, this is an old bug: #465190.

But I need help on this. How can I create this new target package move
binaries and manpages to it? Anyway, should I work in this outdated
stable?

I uploaded a version of my actual gts package if someone wants to see
it. As I said before, it's not ready yet.

- dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/g/gts/gts_0.7.6-2.dsc

Thanks a lot!

Ruben