Re: Compiling with -mtune?

Neil Williams wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-05-22 at 12:42 -0400, Felipe Sateler wrote:
>> Neil Williams wrote:
>>
>> > To check the arch, always test against the HOST architecture. Native
>> > builds set HOST == BUILD but if the package is ever cross-built, your
>> > debian/rules must allow building an ARM package on amd64 (HOST=ARM,
>> > BUILD=amd64) and *NOT* enable -mtune.
>> >
>> > DEB_HOST_ARCH_CPU=... -qDEB_HOST_ARCH_CPU)
>> >
>> > This holds true for any architecture-specific checks in any package -
>> > always, always check the HOST value - BUILD is almost always the wrong
>> > variable to use.
>
>> I think csound is unlikely to be cross-built. Sound synthesis is a pretty
>> cpu-intensive task.
>
> :-) don't think that cross-building is only for low resource units.
>
> I suppose csound may also require a lot of RAM.

Not really. It would depend on the use, of course, but normally it doesn't.

> It is still possible
> that an arch could be sufficiently powerful to *run* csound but not
> capable of building gcc for itself. (I would be surprised if running
> csound is quite as much workload as compiling gcc.)

Indeed, running csound is a lot less resource-intensive than compiling a large
application (such as csound itself).
The problem is that (AFAICS), csound on an emdebian-targeted device will
probably be most useful as a realtime sound generator, which is problematic
because now you not only have a lot of work to do, but you need to do it fast
(or else the sound will clip and stutter). Many pieces fail to run in realtime
on fast amd64 machines.

>> If I enable it then I should only enable it on the
>> appropriate environments. However there is still the question: is it
>> reasonable to enable this option on supported archs?
>
> Yes.

OK then. I will enable it on x86 and amd64.

--

  Felipe Sateler