Compiling with -mtune?

Hi. Csound, a package I maintain, supports enabling a set of gcc optimizations
via a build option. Code generated with those options can be significantly
faster (I've seen improvements of over 2x). However, this option means adding
a -mtune option to gcc. Obviously, the only sane option for a debian package
is -mtune=generic (which is apparently only available on x86 and amd64).
However I read in the info pages for gcc:

> Produce code optimized for the most common IA32/AMD64/EM64T processors.

Does this mean that setting -mtune=generic is the same as setting -mtune to the
most popular processor? If so, can/should I use that option?

--

  Felipe Sateler