Re: Compiling with -mtune?

On Thu, 2008-05-22 at 17:40 +0200, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> On 22/05/2008, Neil Williams wrote:
> > To check the arch, always test against the HOST architecture. Native
> > builds set HOST == BUILD but if the package is ever cross-built, your
> > debian/rules must allow building an ARM package on amd64 (HOST=ARM,
> > BUILD=amd64) and *NOT* enable -mtune.
>
> That should read: “If you want to make Neil Williams happy, your
> debian/rules must allow building an ARM package on amd64”.

It was meant to highlight cross-building on any arch for any arch.

It is all too easy to detect architecture-specific changes using BUILD
and although counter-intuitive, it actually needs to be HOST that
determines architecture-specific changes. More than one package in
Debian has already made that mistake and it saves time if this is fixed
now so that I don't have to file a bug report later.
;-)

> That sentence most probably lacked an “e.g.”, “for example”, or “in
> particular” somewhere.

I currently spend large amounts of time crossbuilding packages for ARM
on amd64 machines so, yes, ARM on amd64 was an example.

--
Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org>