Re: RFS: obm

On Tue, 2008-05-20 at 22:09 +0200, Vincent Bernat wrote:
> OoO  En ce  début d'après-midi  ensoleillé du  mardi 20  mai  2008, vers
> 15:18, Sylvain Garcia <sylvain.garcia@aliasource.fr> disait:
>
> >> When  upgrading packages,  it  is  customary to  be  able to  upgrade
> >> conffiles.  You use an alternate mechanism that install configuration
> >> files  only on first  install.  This  is broken:  you should  use ucf
> >> instead.  The  user will  be proposed with  an upgrade path.   If the
> >> configuration files are not generated, just ship them as conffiles.
>
> > I had update new release of obm pacakge on mentors repo. obm 2.1.9-3 now
> > use ucf to conffile :-)
>
> Hi Sylvain!
>
> I  am still  very uncomfortable  with obm-conf  package. You  should let
> debconf handle  any reconfiguration/first configuration  stuff. It won't
> ask questions twice if not needed.

you talk about obm-conf/already_configured ?

> Moreover, this  package configure will  ask again questions  about mysql
> database configuration while dbconfig-common  has already asked the same
> questions. A typical user installing the packages on the same host won't
> even  be  able  to  answer  all  questions  since  dbconfig-common  will
> autogenerate the password for him.
>
> It is a personal opinion, but I would prefer that database configuration
> is generated by  obm-storage package and that the user  copy by hand the
> resulting   file   to   another   host   if  he   wants   a   multi-host
> configuration. This will strip down complexity of the package, lower the
> number of debconf questions (and the needed translations).

ok, this schema explain the full debian package architecture of OBM
( inkscape schema). Actually i have this package which work, but there
aren't debian compliant about policy. The goal of this packages is to
install OBM on many architecture, on many servers

For my, I prefer use obm-conf to make configuration database because my
goal is " apt-get install obm-..." and it works, same on install whith
many server.  So i don't "copy by hand resulting   file". But, of
course if this is not debian compliant....
Morever, many obm component can be install without database, but it use
obm-conf.

> And I still fail to see  why obm-storage is a separate package. Its only
> aim is to configure  a database. If your concern is to  be able to use a
> remote database, dbconfig-common just handle that.

Because, you can install obm-core on server without database

> obm-ui is an almost empty package. It just configures apache?
>
> I may  just fail to  see how  OBM is componentized,  but I only  see one
> useful  package: obm-core.  If you  install obm-ui  on another  host, it
> won't  have any file  to serve.  If you  install obm-storage  on another
> host,  you  could  just install  it  on  the  host with  obm-core  since
> dbconfig-common is able to configure a remote database and it would save
> the build of another configuration file.

Yes, :-D
Because you can install obm-storage and obm-core without use apache
configuration, so apache is installed on an other server.

--
Sylvain Garcia
Aliasource - Groupe LINAGORA