Re: RFS: obm

OoO  En ce  début d'après-midi  ensoleillé du  mardi 20  mai  2008, vers
15:18, Sylvain Garcia <sylvain.garcia@aliasource.fr> disait:

>> When  upgrading packages,  it  is  customary to  be  able to  upgrade
>> conffiles.  You use an alternate mechanism that install configuration
>> files  only on first  install.  This  is broken:  you should  use ucf
>> instead.  The  user will  be proposed with  an upgrade path.   If the
>> configuration files are not generated, just ship them as conffiles.

> I had update new release of obm pacakge on mentors repo. obm 2.1.9-3 now
> use ucf to conffile :-)

Hi Sylvain!

I  am still  very uncomfortable  with obm-conf  package. You  should let
debconf handle  any reconfiguration/first configuration  stuff. It won't
ask questions twice if not needed.

Moreover, this  package configure will  ask again questions  about mysql
database configuration while dbconfig-common  has already asked the same
questions. A typical user installing the packages on the same host won't
even  be  able  to  answer  all  questions  since  dbconfig-common  will
autogenerate the password for him.

It is a personal opinion, but I would prefer that database configuration
is generated by  obm-storage package and that the user  copy by hand the
resulting   file   to   another   host   if  he   wants   a   multi-host
configuration. This will strip down complexity of the package, lower the
number of debconf questions (and the needed translations).

And I still fail to see  why obm-storage is a separate package. Its only
aim is to configure  a database. If your concern is to  be able to use a
remote database, dbconfig-common just handle that.

obm-ui is an almost empty package. It just configures apache?

I may  just fail to  see how  OBM is componentized,  but I only  see one
useful  package: obm-core.  If you  install obm-ui  on another  host, it
won't  have any file  to serve.  If you  install obm-storage  on another
host,  you  could  just install  it  on  the  host with  obm-core  since
dbconfig-common is able to configure a remote database and it would save
the build of another configuration file.
--
panic ("Splunge!");
	2.2.16 /usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi/psi240i.c