Re: Developer names within debian/changelog

On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 16:58 +0200, Sandro Tosi wrote:
> python-debian states that can parse "debian/changelog": maybe you can
> explore how it works, and if it parses names too.

No, it doesn't, it just uses the two space rule and lumps all the
changes up as just a group of lines without trying to extract any
more information from them.

The bin spanner in the works is that policy allows for any changelog
format whatsoever, as long as the package provides it's own parser.
I haven't looked in to the details much, but I'm just glad that this
seems to be very seldom used.

Also, really old packages have a different format for their early
entries, presumably from before standardisation, or at least the
current standard.

As the ability to provide non-standard changelog parsers doesn't seem
to be used much, would it be a good idea to make it mandatory to
use the standard format, and at the same time retire any pre-standard
entries to debian/changelog.old or similar?

Thanks,

James