RFS: opus (Online university Placement System)

Dear Mentors,

I am looking for a sponsor for my package "opus" (and uuwaf, see later).

* Package name    : opus
  Version         : 4.0.2-1
  Upstream Author : Colin Turner <c.turner@ulster.ac.uk>
* URL             : http://foss.ulster.ac.uk/projects/opus
* License         : GPL v2
  Section         : web

It builds these binary packages:
opus       - On-line Placement University System
opus-doc   - On-line Placement University System Documentation

- dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/o/opus/opus_4.0.2-1.dsc

Since advice on mentors.debian.net encourages more information, here it is.

OPUS is a system for schools, colleges, universities etc. to manage work based learning (also known as co-ops, placements etc.). The formal description is:

---

OPUS is a comprehensive web based tool for managing all aspects of placement. It is aimed at Universities and other large institutions, and facilitates engagement from employers, academic staff, administrative staff and students.

It allows companies to place adverts for students, for students to post applications with CVs, as well as providing facilities for assessing students while on placement. Information is made available on-line to all placement stakeholders.

---

The application has been in development (by me, the upstream author) for around 5-6 years now, and has been free software for over a year, and it installed in a number of institutions, some of which make use of the existing unofficial Debian packaging used up to now. In fact, Debian is the recommended installation route for users, and several have installed both Debian and OPUS with no prior GNU/Linux knowledge.

The application is written in PHP (5+), and depends upon a framework we are developing here at the University of Ulster [1] (see an upcoming message), which is thus far very light, but it does require important security precautions for PHP (register_globals and magic_quotes off for example, and uses the PDO database layer to help prevent SQL injection). OPUS also uses a variety of other security techniques such as validation of user input by casting and regular expressions were appropriate, and the changing of session numbers on authentication to prevent session fixation attacks. [2]

Some minor backend functionality, associated with command line cron functionality in OPUS uses perl.

The ITP (#415241) has been filed for some time (over a year), since I decided to wait till I finished the new upstream version (4) before official packaging since that version brought many improvements in the ability to localize the system. At that time I also filed an ITP for a sister product pdsystem [4], but upstream (my colleague is not ready yet), and a final ITP was filed for the common framework for the two (and other) applications [5].

The package has been checked with lintian and seems clean, and I have checked with pbuilder that it will build correctly against a sid chroot.

I intend to start the path to Debian Maintainer and eventually Debian Developer status to support both this package and the project better. A DD (noodles) has very kindly helped me improve my initial unofficial packaging greatly, but is unwilling to sponsor a PHP project, but I wish to acknowledge his help. My public key is signed by a DD (noodles again).

Kind regards
 Colin Turner

[1] http://foss.ulster.ac.uk/projects/uuwaf
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Session_fixation