Keeping packages in unstable and experimental

Hi all,
I'm posting this to -mentors since I believe it's a basic question, which may
be useful also to others.
I currently maintain gthumb, and I've recently uploaded a svn snapshot to
testing. Now this is the situation:

$ apt-cache policy gthumb
gthumb:
  Installed: 3:2.11.0~svn2319-1
  Candidate: 3:2.11.0~svn2319-1
  Version table:
 *** 3:2.11.0~svn2319-1 0
          1 http://debian.fastweb.it experimental/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     3:2.10.8-1 0
        500 http://debian.fastweb.it testing/main Packages
        500 http://debian.fastweb.it unstable/main Packages
$

For the experimental upload, I've added a new changelog entry to
debian/changelog, tagging it as "experimental", created a new branch, ..., and
finally uploaded.
For the next unstable upload, should I keep both changelogs forked? Should I
merge them? The same question applies to the next experimental upload.

Secondly, I've just adopted john. The old maintainer kept 1.6.x series in
unstable, and a "1.7-2" in experimental. Now I've uploaded 1.7.2-1 into
unstable, will the experimental version disappear? Should I request its removal
(and if yes, how)?

Thanks,
David

--