Re: RFS: cs46xx-firmware

[daniel CCed since he offered to integrate this non-distributable
firmware into firmware-nonfree]

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 8:06 PM, Mikko Rapeli <mikko.rapeli@iki.fi> wrote:

>  This firmware has been distributed with Linux kernel sources since ages,

A shame.

>  but has now been dropped in Debian.

Good to hear.

>  Dann Frazier has asked Cirrus Logic
>  to consider fixing the licence and even releasing the sources. The
>  kernel firmware page http://wiki.debian.org/KernelFirmwareLicensing and
>  bug report #464197 contain more info on licencing and history.

Good to hear.

>  From what I know, things are unclear. I'm just hoping that this firmware
>  package in non-free would fill the gap for users like me who'd like to
>  use Debian and the cs46xx audio chips on machines like the Thinkpad T20.

I think it is fairly clear: no licence is available for the firmware,
therefore it is being illegally distributed by netbsd CVS, kernel.org
and the alsa people.

>  The source package contains sources to the program to strip the firmware from
>  upstream Linux kernel sources or from the copied sound/pci/cs46xx sources taken
>  from 2.6.24 within the package. It also contains a pre-made firmware image,
>  since the (modified ) sound/pci/cs46xx driver in kernel expects it to be in
>  32-bit little endian format.

Since the firmware is not distributable you should remove the pre-built image.

Then make the scripts check all known places for downloading the
firmware and extract from whichever is available in case they get
removed. Also try to find where cwcealdr1.zip originally came from so
that if the alsa folk remove it then there is still a source for it.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise