Re: RFS: liblunar and lunar-applet

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 11:40 PM, Bas Wijnen <wijnen@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>

>  On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 10:31:40PM +0800, LI Daobing wrote:
>  > lunar-applet is chinese calendar applet for gnome environment. it's
>  > version is 2.0-1 in this upload(in sid it's 1.8)
>  >
>  > in lunar-applet 2.0, the library part is separated to liblunar by upstream.
>
>  I'll look at lunar-applet after the library is through new, otherwise it
>  becomes uninstallable until the library gets in the archive.
>

>  > PS. I have set DM-Upload-Allowed in these two packages.
>
>  I don't think this is a good idea, for two reasons:
>
>  - You're not a DM, so it's removing a safety check without any current
>   need.  That means that when/if you would become a DM, this check would
>   be skipped, possibly unnoticed.  It's better if this would be done
>   explicitly when there is an actual intention of uploading this package
>   as a DM (so after you are a DM at least).
>
>  - This flag should IMO only be added when the uploader has shown that he
>   or she can maintain this package well.  This means that the sponsor
>   must have done a few uploads of this package for this maintainer
>   already.  (Only when using the DM status as a workaround for the slow
>   account creation, can this be skipped, IMO, but you're not at that
>   stage yet. ;-) ).

OK.

>  Some comments about the package itself:
>
>  - The library version is complex.  This is probably upstream's choice,
>   in which case it's fine.  Libraries normally have a [base]-[version]
>   and [base]-dev package.  That means the base name of this library is
>   liblunar-1.  Gtk+ uses a similar naming, but personally I don't think
>   it's needed to do this until version 2 is needed *and* it is such a
>   big change that porting old applications is not reasonable, *and*
>   there are enough old applications to keep providing the old version as
>   a -dev package next to the new version.  Most libraries don't ever get
>   in that state, so they don't need such a complex version.

lintian will complain if the name is not liblunar-1-0, this name is
come from "objdump -p /usr/lib/liblunar-1.so.0.0.0 | grep SONAME"

>  - Packages containing functionality for use in a script language should
>   be named lib<package>-<language>, in this case liblunar-python instead
>   of python-lunar.

no, debian python policy 2.2 said the package name should be
python-foo, and python-lunar really provide a lunar module.

>  - In the copyright file you use (C).  This is said to be legally
>   meaningless, you should use the complete word "Copyright" instead
>   (which means it's on some lines twice).  Also, it needs a time
>   indication (years are good enough).  You have that for your packaging,
>   but not for the main program.  Summary: for every copyright holder,
>   you need a line of they type "Copyright [year] [name] [email]".  The
>   email can be omitted.  For every piece of code you also need a
>   license, but you have that already. :-)

OK.

an updated version is uploaded to mentors.debian.net. remove
DM-Upload-Allowed and update copyright information, please check it.

you can download the new version by:

dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/l/liblunar/liblunar_0.2.6-1.dsc

--
Best Regards,