Re: RFS: beef and rhinote (new versions)

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 13:37:11 +0100
Andrea Bolognani <eof@kiyuko.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 06:57:33 -0500
> Kevin Coyner <kevin@rustybear.com> wrote:
>
> > Your md5sum check between upstream's file and your .orig.tar.gz file
> > do not match. This needs to be addressed.
>
> This is quite strange.
> I'll check as soon as the upstream site goes back online -- there seems to
> be some trouble with the hosting provider right now.

The site is back online, and I checked the upstream tarball.

The md5sum is in fact different, though the included files are exactly the
same (I checked their md5sums).
Trying to understand the reason for this, I ran the following command:

    $ file rhinote-0.7.tar.gz
    rhinote_0.7.tar.gz: gzip compressed data, was "rhinote-0.7.tar", from FAT
    filesystem (MS-DOS, OS/2, NT), last modified: Fri Mar 24 03:13:21 2006

So apparently the different md5sum is due to the fact the upstream tarball
was created from a FAT filesystem, while the one in Debian's archives was
created by dpkg-buildpackage on a GNU/Linux system (compression level could
also another cause I guess).

How should I handle this? Building the package using the upstream tarball
works fine, but I don't think it's possible to replace the .orig.tar.gz in
the Debian archive with another one.

Should I create a get-orig-source target in debian/rules and add a notice
in debian/README.Debian explaining the reason for the different md5sum?

--
KiyuKo <eof AT kiyuko DOT org>