Re: RFS: monkey

Le Tuesday 26 February 2008 14:09:34 Thorsten Schmale, vous avez écrit :
> Dear mentors,

	Hi !

> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "monkey".

Few remarks on your package.

> It builds these binary packages:
> monkey     - a small http server

* Could you provide more informations, we already have other http server, so
why this one in particular ?

* in debian/control:
  - Standards-Version: 3.7.2, should be 3.7.3
  - "a" small http server: should avoid the "a" I think. Also, a more specific
description would be good (cf up)
* In debian/rules:
  - Why do you pass -n option to dh_installinit ? This generates code snippets
for maintainer scripts that turns out to be exactly what you have..
 - You don't have to move changelog in rules, just pass the good name to
dh_installchangelog
 - Same for monkey.conf, you should use a install file or dh_install...
* in debian/changelog
 - You should open a ITP bug (use "reportbug wnpp" in command line) and close
it in the initial changelog.
* Daemon init:
 - You perhaps could run the daemon under a specific user, not nobody. You
will then need to create the user in maintainer scripts. You can look at
other mackaged daemons for that.
 - Also the init script doesn't look very standard (not tested though). In
particular it doesn't call start-stop-daemon. It also has a lintian warning
(see below). Have you compared with other packaged daemons ??

Appart from those remarks, you have lintian issues (some of which are reported
already...):
14:32 toots@ras-macintosh /tmp/monkey-0.9.2%
lintian -viI ../monkey_0.9.2-1_amd64.changes
N: Setting up lab in /tmp/ie1BcMJmsS ...
N: Processing changes file monkey_0.9.2-1_amd64.changes ...
N: Processing 2 packages...
N: ----
N: Processing source package monkey (version 0.9.2-1) ...
W: monkey source: debian-rules-ignores-make-clean-error line 29
N:
N:   A rule in the debian/rules file for this package calls the package's
N:   clean or distclean target with a line like:
N:
N:    -$(MAKE) distclean
N:
N:   The leading "-" tells make to ignore all errors. Normally this is done
N:   for packages using Autoconf since Makefile may not exist. However,
N:   this line ignores all other error messages, not just the missing
N:   Makefile error. It's better to use:
N:
N:    [ ! -f Makefile ] || $(MAKE) distclean
N:
N:   so that other error messages from the clean or distclean rule will
N:   still be caught (or just remove the "-" if the package uses a static
N:   makefile).
N:
W: monkey source: out-of-date-standards-version 3.7.2 (current is 3.7.3)
N:
N:   The source package refers to a 'Standards-Version' that is starting to
N:   get out of date, compared to current Policy. You can safely ignore
N:   this warning, but please consider updating the package to current
N:   Policy.
N:
N: ----
N: Processing binary package monkey (version 0.9.2-1) ...
I: monkey: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man8/monkey.8.gz:17
N:
N:   Manual page seems to contain a hyphen where a minus sign was intended.
N:   '-' chars are interpreted as hyphens (U+2010) by groff, not as minus
N:   signs (U+002D). Since options to programs use minus signs (U+002D),
N:   this means for example in UTF-8 locales that you cannot cut&paste
N:   options, nor search for them easily.
N:
N:   '-' must be escaped ('\-') to be interpreted as minus. If you really
N:   intend a hyphen, write it as '\(hy' to emphasise that fact. See
N:   groff(7) and especially groff_char(7) for details, and also the thread
N:   starting with
N:   http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200303/msg01481
N:   .html
N:
N:   If you use some tool that converts your documentation to groff format,
N:   it might be possible that this tool converts dashes of any kind to
N:   groff hyphens, while the safe way of converting dashes is usually to
N:   convert them to '\-'.
N:
N:   Because this error can occur very often we show only the first 10
N:   occurrences for each man page and give the number of suppressed
N:   occurrences. If you want to see all warnings, run lintian with the
N:   -d/--debug option.
N:
I: monkey: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man8/monkey.8.gz:20
I: monkey: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man8/monkey.8.gz:21
I: monkey: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man8/monkey.8.gz:22
I: monkey: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man8/monkey.8.gz:23
I: monkey: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man8/monkey.8.gz:24
W: monkey: init-d-script-stops-in-s-runlevel /etc/init.d/banana
N:
N:   This /etc/init.d script specifies the S runlevel in Default-Stop in
N:   its LSB keyword section. The S runlevel is not a real runlevel and is
N:   only used during boot. There is no way to switch to it and hence no
N:   use for stop scripts for it, so S should be removed from Default-Stop.
N:
W: monkey: new-package-should-close-itp-bug
N:
N:   This package appears to be the first packaging of a new upstream
N:   software package (there is only one changelog entry and the Debian
N:   revision is 1), but it does not close any bugs. The initial upload of
N:   a new package should close the corresponding ITP bug for that package.
N:
N:   This warning can be ignored if the package is not intended for Debian
N:   or if it is a split of an existing Debian package.
N:
N:   Refer to Developers Reference, section 5.1 for details.
N:
N: Removing /tmp/ie1BcMJmsS ...