Re: ITR: ustr (updated package)

On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 11:02:40AM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-02-12 at 10:43 +0100, Václav Ovsík wrote:
> > Dear mentors,
> >
> > I am looking for a sponsor for the new version 1.0.3-2
> > of my package "ustr".
> >
> > It builds these binary packages:
> >  libustr-1.0-1 - Micro string library: shared library
> >  libustr-1.0-1-dbg - Micro string library: debugging symbols
> >  libustr-dev - Micro string library: development stuff
>
> "Micro string library: development headers"
> would be preferable.

Should be discussed further. This package contains besides header files
C source files too. Ustr is not ordinary library. The ustr code can be
completely included into users code (using ustr-import utility).
There is no dependency in this mode of use.
I decided for "development stuff" because of this.

> >  libustr-doc - Micro string library: documentation

> >  tiny overhead over just plain strdup(), is much safer, is easier to
> >  use, is faster for many operations, can be used with read-only or
> >  automatically allocated data. You don't even need to link to the
> >  library to use it (so there are no dependencies).
>
> Good, that's the kind of RFS I like to see - just one thing missing,
> this is an existing package:
> http://packages.qa.debian.org/u/ustr.html

Thanks, next time ;)

> That can be inferred from the bug fix description but the knowledge of
> whether this is a new package (with an ITP) or an existing package is
> very useful to a potential sponsor so it is as well to put it in a
> prominent place in the RFS.

The subject indicates this, but link can be useful, ok.

> > Upstream author: James Antill
> >
> > Homepage: http://www.and.org/ustr/
> >
> > This library is the requisite for latest libsemanage, the library of
> > the SELinux code suite.
>
> ... and already in Debian. (this is the most natural place for the
> missing comment to appear).

Yes. Latest package libsemanage 2.0.9-1 uses it already.

sid:~# apt-cache rdepends libustr-1.0-1
libustr-1.0-1
Reverse Depends:
  libsemanage1
  python-semanage
  libustr-dev
  libustr-1.0-1-dbg
  libsemanage1-dev
  libsemanage1

> I'll review it this week. (Bit busy with Emdebian today).

Thanks for suggestions.
Cheers
--
Zito