.menu and .desktop files

Dear Mentors,

as per policy, I provide a .menu file each time one of my packages provides a command for which it makes sense. These menu files are not used in Ubuntu, which apparently uses only the .desktop files.

Should I/may I also provide a .desktop file? I'm not really sure how to do this properly, as I can't find a clear policy. Any pointer?

Best regards, Thibaut.

--
Dr Thibaut Paumard       | LESIA/CNRS - B. Lyot (n°6)
Tel: +33 1 45 07 75 45   | Observatoire de Paris - Section de Meudon