Re: RFS: libllmozlib

Paul Wise wrote:
> On Nov 14, 2007 8:50 AM, Robin Cornelius <robin.cornelius@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "libllmozlib".
>
> Some comments on your package:

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the feedback

> lots of commented out stuff in debian/rules that doesn't need to be there
>
> copyright file looks like a good candidate for reformatting as per
> http://wiki.debian.org/Proposals/CopyrightFormat

Ack

> might want to add http://www.ubrowser.com/llmozlib.php as the homepage
> field (see http://wiki.debian.org/HomepageFieldHOWTO)

Please see my comments about upstream at the end.

> I think it is a good idea to change the long descriptions so that they
> are not mostly copies of each other.

Ack, Ok thats just stuff that needs correcting

> is "so name so name" in debian/changelog a typo?

It made sense when i did it :-( but now it makes none. I can update this
 before next upload too.

> The NEWS and README files need not be installed, one is zero bytes and
> the other contains no information that is useful to people who aren't
> compiling from source.

Ack

> You do not include a debian/watch file, please read the uscan manual
> page and add one.
>
> Where did the orig.tar.gz really come from? I can only find tarballs
> and zip files that use dates as version numbers instead of 1.1.1-2.

This is where the problems start, because upstream is a mess and I have
made the situation much worse.

The page http://www.ubrowser.com/llmozlib.php is the homepage for the
project BUT no releases are happening there any more, or they are very
irregular.

The latest llmozlib code is available from
https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Source_downloads#Support_library_source

I presume I should set the home page field as
http://www.ubrowser.com/llmozlib.php set the uscan to look at the
https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Source_downloads page and make a note
in README.debian about this?

The 2nd problem is the .tar.gz file is a mess. The .orig.tar.gz came
from http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-2977

I assume the *correct* solution for this is to use the original .tar.gz
(wiki.secondlife.com/......) and create dpatch diffs to bring it up to
the required version. In fact the diffs would 99.99% be adding code to
the tree (eg a Makefile and autoconf stuff and additional cpp and h
files that are needed) as upstream has no build system at all.

Many thanks for your help, i will start work on this but it will take a
little while as there a number of changes that need fixing.

Best regards

Robin