Re: RFS: python-nouvelle

David Paleino wrote:
> Dear mentors,
>
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "python-nouvelle".
>
> * Package name    : python-nouvelle
>   Version         : 1.0-1
>   Upstream Author : Micah Dowty <micah@picogui.org>
> * URL             : http://freshmeat.net/projects/nouvelle/
> * License         : LGPL
>   Section         : python
>
> It builds these binary packages:
> python-nouvelle - simple pure-python web framework
>
> Here's the long description:
>
>  Nouvelle is a very simple Web rendering framework, similar to the 'nevow'
>  package in Quotient but with a few key differences. XHTML documents are
>  constructed using a convenient pure-Python syntax. Nouvelle itself doesn't
>  require a particular web server or environment, but it can interoperate
>  with Twisted or BaseHTTPServer easily.

> The upload would fix this bug: 449225

> - Source repository: deb-src http://mentors.debian.net/debian unstable main
> contrib non-free
> - dget
> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/p/python-nouvelle/python-nouvelle_1.0-1.dsc

If you need a very fast sponsoring I can recomment to
- join the Python Modules team [1]
- maintain your package in the svn there
- join #debian-python on the OFTC network and ask for sponsoring there.

Here are a few things I found while looking trough your package:
- the source is name nouvelle - why do you rename it? not a problem to
build a package with a different name from it.
- debian/copyright: the LGPL/GPL in common-licenses are links, pointing
to version 3. The software is licensed under version 2, so you should
use LGPL-2 instead.
- did you ping upstream with your patch for setup.py?
- you could build-depend on python-all instead of python and run the
build target for all python versions, so you'll get a QA FTBFS mail if
something doesn't work with new python versions. Look at the html5lib
debian/rules file if you need an example, it's in the team's svn.
- you have several dh_* calls in debian/rules which are not needed here,
for example dh_strip.
- That's the wrong directory:
0 bzed@hal:/tmp$ dpkg-deb -c python-nouvelle_1.0-1_all.deb | grep
lib/python | head -1
drwxr-xr-x root/root         0 2007-11-04 13:41 ./lib/python2.4/

You want to use --root=... instead of --prefix=....

That's all for now, hope to see you in the team :)

Cheers,

Bernd

[1]: http://python-modules.alioth.debian.org/python-modules-policy.html
--