Re: RFS: throttle

All'incirca Sun, 22 Jul 2007 18:22:59 +0200,  Nico Golde
<nico@ngolde.de> sembrerebbe aver scritto:

> Hi,
> * Kartik Mistry <kartik.mistry@gmail.com> [2007-07-22 18:17]:
> [...]
> > As I said, throttle is too simple with 3 or 4 command line options
> > written in mind with simple use. While, cstream has lots of options
> > available to configure your need.
>
> Did you look at trickle?

But trickle is different. Trickle is useful to limiting the bandwidth
of a socket, throttle is for limiting the bandwidth of a standard
stream. They're two different uses.

I reply to this old thread because I too began to work on throttle, and
asked for RFS some days ago. I didn't remember this thread and the ITP
bug didn't report anything about it. Paul Wise then recalled it to me.

Now the question is: cstream is more complex and trickle is different.
I don't know of any similar programs. Should I continue on packaging
and maintaining throttle (and waiting for someone to sponsor it), or
should I ask Joey Hess to include it in moreutils (as Paul Wise
suggested), or should I give up with throttle (writing in the ITP bug
why did I do so)?

Thank you, Giovanni.
--
Giovanni Mascellani <g.mascellani@gmail.com>
Pisa, Italy

Web: http://giomasce.altervista.org
SIP: g.mascellani@ekiga.net
Jabber: g.mascellani@jabber.org / giovanni@elabor.homelinux.org
GPG: 0x5F1FBF70 (FP: 1EB6 3D43 E201 4DDF 67BD  003F FCB0 BB5C 5F1F BF70)