Re: Request for additions to the mentors RFS template

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 20:54:35 +0200
Nico Golde <nico@ngolde.de> wrote:

> > 1. An ITP usually includes a "Language: C/C++/Python/Perl etc."
> > line, so for requests for sponsors, it would be good to carry this
> > over so that packages that already exist in the archive also carry
> > this information in the RFS. It would help me enormously to be able
> > to scan the RFS and disregard all python or ruby packages and
> > concentrate on C/C++ or Perl without having to research each one
> > via various web pages.
>
> Is this really necessary as the information should be
> present in the ITP?

I'm thinking of requests that don't involve an ITP, as above, where the
package already exists in the archive. It would still be useful to have
it, from my perspective, in the RFS without having to load up the web
browser to inspect the ITP.

> > 3. The URL field is commonly just the URL for the mentors.debian.net
> > site (which itself is often little more than the template) when it
> > would be useful to either recommend the upstream homepage or include
> > that separately - naturally, if the long description is included, a
> > lot of packages will include this anyway. (Those that do not
> > include a Homepage link in the long description should expect to be
> > asked to add one.)
>
> As the upstream homepage should be also in the ITP for my
> taste the URL is just obsolete if a dget URL is included.

As above, if there is no ITP, this gets left behind. However, this is a
minor request.

> 5. If the RFS is for a package update, please include a
> debdiff between the versions.

That's a great idea! mentors.debian.net may even be able to do that
automatically and put the results in the same directory as the .dsc -
perhaps running either debdiff or interdiff against the existing
version in the debian archive. 'interdiff -z ' against the two .diff.gz
files would be useful. It doesn't help native packages but then that's
probably for the best, an RFS doesn't usually intend to relate to a
native package.

--

Neil Williams