Re: netcdf with new and improved diffs

Warren Turkal wrote:
> Kevin and other interested parties,
>
> New netcdf packages are up at [1]. All issues are fixed other than the
> netcdf-doc related issue.
>
> [1]http://www.penguintechs.org/~wt/debian/netcdf/

Hi Warren,

Let me preface this email by saying that all the comments below are
"wishlist" items in my opinion, so I would be fine with uploading the
3.6.2-1~pre6 packages to Debian/experimental for you as they are, after
of course changing the version number to 3.6.2-1 in the
debian/changelog.  Would you like me to go ahead and do that, or to wait
for a bit longer?

The main downside of having me upload now is that if you later add an
arch:all package to the docs, netcdf will then have to go through NEW a
second time.  (Although if the arch:all package is named "netcdf-doc" to
replace the old netcdf-doc source/binary package, that may not be the
case -- I'm not entirely sure.)

The comments are these:

1) I see you've decided to use the pre-built PDF / PS documentation
files shipped in upstream's orig.tar.gz, and so commented out the
debian/rules clean target.  There's nothing wrong with that, as has
previously been mentioned on this list, since we know these docs can be
rebuilt from the source package.

However, because you're doing this, it could be worthwhile to remove the
build-dependencies on texinfo and texlive-latex-base | tetex-bin from
debian/control.  They currently don't do anything except cause an awful
lot of packages to be downloaded by pbuilder or sbuild, which increases
the build time.

2) I also have just noticed that upstream's build outputs a message
recommending to do a "make check" to test the binaries / libraries.  Is
this something that would be reasonably easy to put into the Debian build?

3) [of course you know this, I'm leaving it here as a placeholder to
remind myself]: the possibility to move the docs from libnetcdf-dev into
an arch:all binary package.

best regards,