Re: From local source tree to Debian package

Am Dienstag, den 20.03.2007, 10:00 +0900 schrieb Charles Plessy:

[..]
> I am sometimes wondering what is the best approach for packages with no
> makefiles :
>
> a) dh_install,

IMHO the perfect tool for this approach.

> b) Write a Makefile, submit it to Upstream, and ship it in the debian
>    directory in the meantime. (as a patch ? as a file to be moved in at
>    the begining of the install rule in debian/rules ?).

You don't need to move it. You can use the -f switch of make and put it,
wherever you want :)

> The advantage of b) is that it then contributes to trivialise the
> packaging rules, especially if it is incorporated upstream.

But upstream probably wrote his package for more than Debian. And a
Makefile, that shall cover many Linux/Unix distributions + MacOSX is
often more complicated, than a simple Makefile you write just for Debian
packaging. That's the problem I see with putting such Makefiles into
upstream, especially if the upstream author doesn't have much
experiences with Makefiles.

Regards, Daniel