Re: From local source tree to Debian package

Charles Plessy <charles-debian-nospam@plessy.org> writes:

> I am sometimes wondering what is the best approach for packages with
> no makefiles :
>
> a) dh_install,

That does look good (I haven't yet used it).

> b) Write a Makefile, submit it to Upstream, and ship it in the debian
>    directory in the meantime. (as a patch ? as a file to be moved in at
>    the begining of the install rule in debian/rules ?).
>
> The advantage of b) is that it then contributes to trivialise the
> packaging rules, especially if it is incorporated upstream.

I agree that 'make install' is something that most non-trivial
packages need regardless of Debian policy, even if it doesn't occur to
their authors. Submit it upstream, definitely.

--
 \        "Some people, when confronted with a problem, think 'I know, |
  `\   I'll use regular expressions'. Now they have two problems."  -- |