Re: Question about how to handle a RC bug.

On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 01:10:01PM +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-03-14 at 17:31 -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 08:23:46PM -0400, Muammar Wadih El Khatib Rodriguez wrote:
> > > I uploaded a new upstream version of a package which is called CEGUI
> > > (I did it two months ago). There is another package which depends on
> > > CEGUI to autobuild, this package is ogre. The problem is that ogre's
> > > version in Debian is too old and that's why it is not autobuilding
> > > well against the new version of cegui. You can find the report in:

> > > http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=411113

> > > I was researching into ogre's forums and what I wrote above is the
> > > problem. So, my question is: How should I proceed? I mean, should I
> > > upload the previous version of cegui to unstable? or what is the
> > > correct procedure to handle that kind of problem?

> > Is there any reason that getting the maintainer of ogre to upload a newer
> > upstream version of that package is not the correct answer here?

> It doesn't have a maintainer.

Well, that doesn't mean it's less of the right solution; it just means it's
less likely to be solved.

Though ogre seems to be the only reverse-dependency of cegui-mk2 (hmm, and
it's only a build-dependency?), so if it /doesn't/ get solved, is there a
reason cegui-mk2 should still be shipped in a stable release (lenny I mean,
not etch)?

> I reassigned the bug to cegui-mk2 because it was changed incompatibly
> during the freeze.  However, at this point presumably neither ogre nor
> cegui-mk2 will be updated in etch so I suppose ogre could be updated in
> sid.

Yes.

> I noticed something odd now.  The only thing that build-depends on
> cegui-mk2 is ogre.  But *nothing* in etch depends on libcegui-mk2*.
> Somehow, whatever code in ogre uses it is not included in the binary
> packages... ah, yes, it's sample code.  Maybe it should be disabled
> altogether in the Debian package.

Could be.  Then the above question applies again.