Re: native packages

On 1/23/07, Thijs Kinkhorst <thijs@debian.org> wrote:
On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 21:45 +1100, Andrew Donnellan wrote:
> In this particular project I am a member of upstream (packager,
> proofreader and copywriter for English website) and I want to store my
> debian/ directory in upstream's SVN as it makes it much easier for me
> to manage snapshots, updates, and so on.

> If debian-native packages are discouraged then is there a good way to
> keep the debian/ dir with upstream's VCS?

You can store the debian/ dir in upstream's VCS, but is is very
undesirable to put it into released tarballs. It may seem handy now, but
it will create a strange situation when you're no longer part of
upstream, or when someone takes over package maintenance, does an NMU or
a security update. You will then get a diff.gz that diffs the old and
new debian directory.

So: keeping it in your upstream version repository is fine, but make
sure it's not released. When packaging a new upstream version, combine
the tarball with the debian dir at that point.

So essentially, store debian/ etc in the upstream VCS, but keep it out
of releases and only add the directory when building a Debian package?

Does this mean I should create a snapshot of everything except the
debian files, then copy the debian files in to make a diff?

--
Andrew Donnellan
ajdlinuxATgmailDOTcom (primary)    ajdlinuxATexemailDOTcomDOTau (secure)