Re: Removing self-managed conffiles?

On Sat, Jan 20, 2007 at 11:38:39AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 18:17:27 +0100, Marc Haber <mh+debian-mentors@zugschlus.de> said:
> > On Sat, Jan 20, 2007 at 10:31:11AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >> This is the beauty of fre software. If you find it so frustrating,
> >> write up a generic tool, and contribute it. And that would follow
> >> the grand old UNIX tradition of each command doing one thing well.
>
> > The task at hand would mean forking ucf, which would be a bad idea.
>
>         Then I am sorry to say you have not learned how free software
>  works.

Your opinion. Agree to disagree?

>   There is no need to fork ucf to create a command that provides
>   functionality not in ucf.

the intersection between zmct (zugschlus' magical conffiles tool) and
ucf would be non-negligible and a lot of routine stuff would need to
be present in both packages.

>  And, arguably, this functionality should be in a different script
>  anyway, perhaps one that can read the simple ucf cache, which, given
>  the installed base, is unlikely to change from under you.

Where is the documentation of the stable interface to ucf's cache that
is reliable not to change between ucf releases?

> > Additionally, I'd like a functionality of this importance in a
> > better coder's hand than mine.
>
>         Write the code. You might surprise yourself. Or find that
>  other people can help out. Or you could contribute the code to be
>  included in ucf.  But the first step is "do the work."

insufficient time resources.

Greetings
Marc