Re: Removing self-managed conffiles?

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 18:17:27 +0100, Marc Haber <mh+debian-mentors@zugschlus.de> said:

> On Sat, Jan 20, 2007 at 10:31:11AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> This is the beauty of fre software. If you find it so frustrating,
>> write up a generic tool, and contribute it. And that would follow
>> the grand old UNIX tradition of each command doing one thing well.

> The task at hand would mean forking ucf, which would be a bad idea.

        Then I am sorry to say you have not learned how free software
 works.  There is no need to fork ucf to create a command that
 provides functionality not in ucf. And, arguably, this functionality
 should be in a different script anyway, perhaps one that can read the
 simple ucf cache, which, given the installed base, is unlikely to
 change from under you.

> Additionally, I'd like a functionality of this importance in a
> better coder's hand than mine.

        Write the code. You might surprise yourself. Or find that
 other people can help out. Or you could contribute the code to be
 included in ucf.  But the first step is "do the work."

        manoj
--
I hate babies.  They're so human. H.H. Munro