Re: Tone-of-voice used by sponsors

On Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 04:29:58AM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:

> Daniel many times told me that for example, I shouldn't use 2 blank
> lines on my debian/rules, don't have empty space a end of line in my
> copyright, and things like that.
>
> I agree it doesn't mater MUCH, but it's still better the way he advise
> me to correct. And do you really thing it's SO BAD and that it takes SO
> MUCH time to do those little changes, or to try to comply with what he
> thinks is good? I think it's all right, and that it helps to have
> something more clean and easy to read... I also think it's ridiculous to
> complain about somebody's perfectionism.

Right.  But are things like two blank lines in debian/rules and blank
space at the end of the line policy issues?  No.  I too am a
perfectionist, but I also recongnize that not everyone is.  If request
sponsorship for a package and the potential sponsor points out issues
with the package, then that is fine.  If the issues are policy driven or
otherwise "mandated" then I will certainly fix them.  I would not
seriously expect anyone to sponsor a package of mine with an outstanding
issue like that.

However, I choose to not change things which are a matter of preference,
then that should not impact the sponsor's willingness to sponsor the
package.  For the potential sponsor to do that would come off as
elitist.  What if I like two blank lines in debian/rules to break up the
sections logically?  If I like it that way and the potential sponsor
does not, but the policy says nothing about it, then who is right?

The same goes for whitespace at the end of a line somewhere?  Is it
really that important?  There are likely hundreds of these little sorts
of preference issues out there.  I don't think that pointing them out is
wrong, but I don't think that someone forcing their view of what they
think is right is justified, unless there is something in policy or
the developer reference or lintian/linda to provide justification.

Regards,

-Roberto

Regards,

-Roberto