Re: Tone-of-voice used by sponsors

On Sun, 2007-01-14 at 15:39 +0100, Jens Peter Secher wrote:
> Daniel Baumann <daniel@debian.org> writes:
>
> > if you insist on keeping the useless stuff, i consider the package as to
> > ugly according to my mesures of beauty, and hence i'm not sponsoring it.
>
> I think it would be better if you toned down this
> do-as-I-say-or-I-wont-sponsor-you attitude.  As others have mentioned,
> some of the nitpicking is really your personal preferences, and not
> really something that makes a new Developer much better at the tasks
> involved in maintaining a package.

Let's not make a problem of this.  It is normal that sponsors have
different opinions.

For example, if/when I become DD and start sponsoring, I intend to
insist on getting errors or debian-policy violations fixed, and suggest
some nice-to-have's for future updates.  I intend to give the packager
as much room for his/her own decisions/style/taste as possibly allowed
by debian-policy.  That is, in my opinion, the only way that can
encourage a new packager to do more and more contributions.  (It worked
for me, thanks to my excellent sponsor Anibal.)

On the other hand, the sponsor is completely free to choose which
packages he wants to sponsor.  And it is good that sponsors encourage
new packagers to have an eye for the little things too.  Let's not shoot
Daniel for being just a bit more strict than other sponsors, and be
happy that he sponsors so many packages.  And keep in mind that the
tone-of-voice in e-mails is always more harsh when read than when
written. :)