Re: Tone-of-voice used by sponsors

El dom, 14-01-2007 a las 16:58 +0100, Thijs Kinkhorst escribió:
> On Sun, 2007-01-14 at 16:43 +0100, Bart Martens wrote:
> > On the other hand, the sponsor is completely free to choose which
> > packages he wants to sponsor.  And it is good that sponsors encourage
> > new packagers to have an eye for the little things too.  Let's not shoot
> > Daniel for being just a bit more strict than other sponsors, and be
> > happy that he sponsors so many packages.  And keep in mind that the
> > tone-of-voice in e-mails is always more harsh when read than when
> > written. :)
>
> I would recommend that any sponsor keeps that last thing in mind.
> Debian-mentors is supposed to be the "friendly" resource to get
> acquainted with Debian packaging.
>
> I often find the lists that Daniel posts to resemble commands "remove
> this.", "do not do that", "this is bogus", "that is useless" but lacking
> of background or guidance. If you take a look at some other sponsors,
> you will see that if they have some criticism on a package, they will
> often include *why* it is a problem, and/or how to solve it. This
> doesn't have to be long.
>
> Compare:
>
> * do not build a native package.
>
> with:
>
> * The package is Debian native, but the software is not Debian
>   specific. The customary way to package software that has an
>   upstream is to use the non-native packaging, which makes the
>   package consist of a .orig.tar.gz from upstream and a .diff.gz
>   for Debian. This clearly separates what modifications are done
>   by Debian.
>
>   There's a bit of text about this in the FAQ:
>   http://people.debian.org/~mpalmer/debian-mentors_FAQ.html
>
> (example from this list)
>
> I think the latter is the form that suits the Debian Mentors list best.
> Of course there's no "rules", but I'd prefer it nonetheless. Thanks for
> considering.

Obviously, there're no rules, but I think the example person you've
quoted is not the best example. In my experience, Daniel is probably the
most active Mentor and his help is always very valuable. I don't think
nobody can feel offended by the "tone" of his mails. If somebody feels
offended by his precisions and corrections, probably is somebody too
proud to be able to learn anything. He spends a long time checking the
packages and I don't think he has also to spend a long time writing
emails that explain every correction in Detail. Somebody  trying to
package an application for Debian should be clever enough to know where
to clarify any of the comments, as there are a lot of docs available to
get the information.
I prefer 10 Daniels spending their time correcting and helping people
keeping that tone, than 100 sweet Mentors that only sponsor a few
packages but have long emails with a lot of details. A package can be
lintian clean and ready to be uploaded,but helped by Daniel, it is a
perfect package ready to uploaded too, and to be proud of.

This is just a personal opinion and I also hope it didn't offended
anybody as it was not my intention at all.

Regards.
José L.