Re: Version names if Stable = Testing = Unstable but compiled different

Hi Michelle,

On 1/12/07, Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@freenet.de> wrote:
I have for example a "package-1.0.0" and it compiles fine under Stable,
Testing and Unstable but the files are not binarcompatibel since they
compile different under the different releases...

No, in the mirror we will have a "package_1.0.0-1_i386.deb"

But I will have this package three times since it is the same version
for all three releases...

It's not clear if you are talking about official Debian mirrors or
your own mirrors.  If it were official Debian mirrors, it could never
have happened like that.  A package would have need to go through a
new revision to be recompiled (either -2 for new debian release or
-1+b1 for binary recompilation).

So, if this is for your own, local mirror, I'd suggest naming the
recompilations accordingly (-1, -2 and -3, or -1, -1+b1, -1+b2).

I was reading the developers-reference, maint-guide and others but now
I must ask how to name the packages.

Yes, this info is not there, because this situation would never happen
with the way packages are managed inside Debian's distributions.

--
Besos,
Marga