Re: Stupid library ABI question

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 11:19:40 -0800, "Kevin B. McCarty" <kmccarty@Princeton.EDU> said:

> Hello, I have a dumb library ABI question.  Suppose I maintain a
> library libfoo.so that has public functions A(), B() and C().  Now
> there is a new release in which libfoo.so only provides A(), but it is
> now (newly) dynamically linked against libbar.so, which has public
> functions B() and C() with interfaces identical to the old B() and C()
> in the old version of libfoo.so.

> Does libfoo.so need to have its soname bumped, since it no longer
> provides B() and C()?  Or can it keep the same soname since it still
> indirectly provides B() and C() via its new dependency on libbar.so?

AFAICT, if a program (or library) that is linked against the old
libfoo.so and calls B() or C() will also work with the new libfoo.so
without needing to be recompiled, then you shouldn't need to bump the
soname.

--
Hubert Chan <uhoreg@debian.org> -- Jabber: hubert@uhoreg.ca
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA         http://www.uhoreg.ca/