Re: Library sonames and unstable libraries

On Sun, Jan 07, 2007 at 06:19:00PM +0100, Andreas Fester wrote:
> Justin Pryzby wrote:
> >> ./libgnomevfs-pthread.so
> >> [...]
> > No.  *.so are linker symlinks used at compiled time.  The compile flags -lfoo

> Not this one:

> $ ls -la /usr/lib/libgnomevfs-pthread.so
> - -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 34624 2005-09-02 01:53 /usr/lib/libgnomevfs-pthread.so

> So this must be a special case ...

No, bugs aren't really all that special.  They're a dime a dozen, in fact.
:)

> > Too, there are actually two forms of library soname file naming used:
> >   libfoo.so.1.2.3
> > and
> >   libfoo-1.2.3.so

> Only the first one is mentioned in the various packaging guides,
> so I suppose that the format libfoo-1.2.3.so only exists for historical
> reasons, right? IMHO new packages have to use the form libfoo.so.1.2.3 ?

No, .so.x.y.z is the traditional format; embedding the library version in
the part of the name before the .so is a relatively new innovation that
hasn't been adopted too widely outside of certain circles (such as GNOME).