Re: RFS: libdevice-serialport-perl

On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 07:39:35PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> The obvious question is : Has anyone been able to contact the current
> maintainer? The mentors archive indicates that this has been attempted:
> http://www.archivum.info/linux.debian.devel.mentors/2006-08/msg00111.html
>
> CC'ing him just to see if there is any update.

I'm still alive.  When I'd last looked at ldsp, it appeared the nmu's were
pretty reasonable, but having just looked at what new stuff (yeah, I've
been not paying that much attention to it) has happened, it's in a pretty
sad state.

> A new maintainer would seem appropriate if there is no response. Popcon
> indicates increasing usage of this package, so something does need to
> be done. I could be interested if I had more confidence in being able
> to test it reliably.

I just rebuilt it here and except for a couple patchable problems with one
of the tests (completely syntax issues that seem to come from upstream),
the 'make test' comes out just fine.

> > Since software that depends on libdevice-serialport-perl breaks,
> > finding the wrong version installed, I'd really like to get this
> > fixed (I'm also the upstream author).  What needs to happen to get
> > this package sorted out?

This is actually good to hear.  The only thing I knew for certain used
this package when I first made it was something I'd written to talk to
a money order machine.

> The problem is finding a sponsor who is interested and able to test
> this package. What is involved? There only appears to be one package
> depending on this package: sendpage-server and it's -common and -client
> versions, used to send alphanumeric pages to a pager. Is there some way
> to reliably test this package without having a pager and supporting
> service? (Something more than just running the test suite, which,
> according to the BTS, has had it's own problems.)

I should be able to run these on a machine I have access to and send pages
through it.

Kees, what's the real version number of the latest release?  The version on
your site and on CPAN are both numbered 1.002, but in your home-rolled debian/
dir, it's 1.2.0.  These should be consistant.

-- Mike

--
Mike Mattice - Debian Developer
mailto:  mattice at debian dot org