Seeking advice on packaging chicken

Sid as an almost geriatric version of chicken ;-)  The bug pointing that
out is more than 260 days old
(http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=418747).  Since I need
a more recent version I decided to take a stab at packaging it myself.
I started with the package currently in Sid and made changes to only
debian/rules.  The result seems to work, but I feel I'm not really sure
Debian-ism of the packages.  I'd love to receive some feedback and
pointers for improvements before I post the diff to the bug.

The packages are available from http://therning.org/magnus_apt/unstable/

/M

magnus@therning.org             Jabber: magnus.therning@gmail.com
http://therning.org/magnus

What if I don't want to obey the laws? Do they throw me in jail with
the other bad monads?
     -- Daveman