Re: RFS: localizator

On 28/12/2007, Mauro wrote:
> Hi Kumar,
> i followed your advices and re-uploaded the package to mentors.debian.net;
> but im afraid that i didn't understood what you meant by 'my package
> being a native package',
> i mean the differences between the source in the orig.tar.gz and the
> package are the paths (original source uses "relative" paths and the
> package uses "absolute" paths), and those differences are just because
> i didn't 'gave' a directory structure to the original source code when
> i made it.
> tell me if im wrong with this.

Dear Mauro,

I can't build your package at the moment (not near my sid machine),
but I saw the changes you made, and they are very much in the right
direction. However, you should build a non-native package. To do this,
before building the package

1. Put localizator_0.2.orig.tar.gz in the directory before the
"source" directory. Ensure that it has NO debian/ directory; that is,
the tarball should be the "upstream" tarball, and the Debian specific
things will appear in the .diff.gz.

2. Set the version in the changelog to 0.2-1 instead of 0.2. 0.2 is
the upstream version, while the `1' after the hyphen refers to the
Debian revision. Say, some days later, you make changes tothe Debian
packaging _without_ changing anything in the .orig.tar.gz. In such a
case, you would just make the Debian specific change, write a
changelog entry for 0.2-2 and build it. This way, the packaging and
upstream are separated. See some example packages to get this point
clear.

Once you get this done, build your package, and install it and run it.
Once it seems OK, you have a basic package working. Then, fine tune
your packaging by running lintian -i -I on the changes file, and
observe the warnings and advice to correct them. If you go through
these steps carefully once, it'll be very easy to do them the next
time onwards.

I'll check your package again tomorrow, but if someone else
(preferably a DD) comes up for checking before that, it would be nice.

HTH.

Kumar
--
Kumar Appaiah,