ITU: wmanager (update, adopt, fix bugs)

On Thu, Dec 20, 2007 at 05:11:35PM +0200, Peter Pentchev wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 07:04:25PM -0600, Luis Rodrigo Gallardo Cruz wrote:

> > > I will review your package. You made quite a few changes, so it might
> > > take me several days.
> >
> > Ok, my (very few) comments:
> Done, see below for the updated package.
>
> However, there just might be a problem here - not with wmanager itself,
> but a more general problem.  I pretty much copied those rules from the
> dpatch manual - the "DPATCH IN DEBIAN PACKAGES" section.  The examples
> given there will not work with parallel make either.
>
> Should a bug against dpatch be filed to update the manual?  Or should we
> wait until people come to at least some sort of agreement on the
> parallel make issue before filing any bugs and making changes? :)
> (yeah, I guess you can tell I've been following the parallel make
> discussion on debian-policy ;)

Well, even if we decide not to support paralel builds at all, I see no
reason to make them difficult on purpose, so I guess it's still a bug in
dpatch to be suggesting this ;)

> > 2. It would be nice to pass along at least the makefile patch
> > upstream.
> Actually I intend to pass *all* the changes upstream  ...
> On to your actual question - yes, if the upstream author turns out to be
> inactive, I do intend to take up maintainership of wmanager

Cool.

> > 3. Will you be wanting to keep debian/rules as is, or are you planning
> > to migrate to some helper package? If the second, be aware that I'm
> > not willing to sponsor cdbs based packages. I don't understand it and
> > I'm not really willing to learn it. Thus, I'd politely recommend ;)
> > you use debhelper.
>
> Well, I myself like debhelper very much, and both my local packages
> (most of which will never see the light of day for work-related reasons)
> and the timelimit package that I've RFS'd recently are all done using
> debhelper.  With wmanager, the situation is somewhat weird - Tommi
> Virtanen actually used it in the past, but dropped it in version 0.2-4
> seven years ago.  We'll see - there's a very good chance that I will
> reintroduce debhelper at some point instead of doing things by hand
> (like the md5sums file creation).  In this version, I just wanted to
> deviate as little as possible from Tommi Virtanen's work.

That's good. And it's good you started small, too.

> > Other than that, your package is very nicely updated, so as soon as
> > you do the patching rules fixes, I can sponsor this version.
>
> Thanks a lot! :)  I uploaded an updated version to mentors.debian.net -
> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/w/wmanager/wmanager_0.2.1-3.dsc

Got it. I'm currently building and testing a final time, and will upload
it shortly.

Feel free to contact me privately for further sponsoring for this
package.

--
Rodrigo Gallardo
GPG-Fingerprint: 7C81 E60C 442E 8FBC D975  2F49 0199 8318 ADC9 BC28