Re: ITR: blam 1.8.4-3

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 08:52:17 -0600
Luis Rodrigo Gallardo Cruz <rodrigo@nul-unu.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 07:29:39PM +0100, Carlos Martín Nieto wrote:

> >  I think the reason Makefile.{am,in} are patched directly is because the
> > patches are applied too late in the process and by then the Makefile has
> > already been created.
>
> Mmm. cdbs at work.

Not necessarily. I use cdbs a lot. Patches are applied before
./configure but also reversed prior to the clean. I know the CDBS docs
are not easy to follow but cdbs does support patches to Makefile.in and
Makefile.am. It is usually best to edit both using cdbs-edit-patch. I'd
take a closer look but although I'm ok with CDBS, I know nothing about C#.
 :-(

The src/Makefile.am is already patched so it should be relatively
painless to extend that patch to include the changes to Makefile.am and
Makefile.in.

The hardest part of the CDBS simple_patchsupport is actually getting
used to cdbs-edit-patch, particularly when you want to extend an
existing patch. I sometimes reverse the first patch and delete it,
reverse any manual changes, run cdbs-edit-patch with the name of the
patch you just deleted and then make all the edits in that subshell.
(Sometimes helps to run make clean beforehand too so that dh_clean
doesn't cause too many problems).

> > Ok, if you can't get them to apply soon enough, it's ok to leave those
> > (but just those) directly in the .diff.gz.

(Carlos: It just complicates using uscan a little - it's easier to
upgrade to the next upstream release if the entire .diff.gz applies
within debian/, that's one reason why Luis wanted these out of the .diff.gz)

> > linda complains that:
> > E: blam; Uses cdbs and debhelper.mk, but debhelper Build-Depends is too old.
> >  This package uses cdbs and includes debhelper.mk, but the version of
> >  debhelper the package Build-Depends on is too old.  To use
> >  debhelper.mk you currently must Build-Depend on at least debhelper (>=
> >  4.1.0).

debhelper (>= 5) is a safer bet, together with compat 5. IMHO.

HTH

--

Neil Williams