just beginning

hello all.  i am just beginning to get into linux.  i am not sure that this is the right list for me...it seems that a lot of the discussion here is fairly advanced.  i have an old pentium II machine that i want to install debian on, and maybe in the spring og '08 i'll buy a bare bones machine and try that out.  is this a list where i can get help with really basic stuff....like how to install my first linux OS?  if this isn't the right list, can someone direct me to a list that is more appropriate for my level of expertise...which is to say....i have very little programming experience (FORTRAN and BASIC 25 years ago...HA!) and i am not a technician beyond being able to swap out hard drives and install network cards.....

thanks....tom

"...every failure to cope with a life situation must be laid, in the end, to a restriction of consciousness.  Wars and temper tantrums are the makeshifts of ignorance; regrets are illuminations come too late...."
-Joseph Campbell, The Hero With A Thousand Faces

"...cada fracaso hacer frente a una situacion de la vida tiene que imputer, en fin, a una restriccion de consciencia.  Guerras y berrinches de mal genio son resultados de ignorancia, compunciones son iluminaciones que llegaron demasiado tarde..."
- Joseph Campbell, El Heroe Con Mil Caras