Re: dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol ... found in none of the libraries

On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 08:53:45AM -0600, Luis Rodrigo Gallardo Cruz wrote:
> > > The new dpkg-shlibdeps is giving me tons of messages of the form
> > >
> > >  dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol ui_node_remove_node used by
> > >  debian/liferea/usr/lib/liferea/libliscrlua.so found in none of the
> > > libraries
>
> In my case, dpkg-shlibdeps knows my .so should be using some other,
> but doesn't know which. Or something like that.

It seems so.  I'm afraid I can't help, but if noone knows what the
problem is, I do have a hint: symbol versioning.

I have seen the same problem with a (currently unreleased) library, and
the reported symbols are those which are marked "local" in a version
script.  In particular:

My library, libshevek, needs Glibmm to do its work.  With a symbol
versioning script, I export only symbols which have "shevek" in them.
I get warnings that my library uses unprovided symbols from Glibmm.  I
don't need to provide them, since you'll need to link to Glibmm when
compiling.

Using the library is also not a problem, there are no undefined
references, even when I don't explicitly link to Glibmm, but only to
libshevek (it will implicitly link to Glibmm, of course).

So for the moment I'm just ignoring the warnings, but some explanation
about where they come from would be nice. :-)

Thanks,
Bas

For more information, see http://pcbcn10.phys.rug.nl/e-mail.html