dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol ... found in none of the libraries

The new dpkg-shlibdeps is giving me tons of messages of the form

 dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol ui_node_remove_node used by
 debian/liferea/usr/lib/liferea/libliscrlua.so found in none of the libraries

The .so in question is a plugin meant to be dlopened by the main
program. The symbols reported all come from the main binary, and not
from any other lib.

From some other threads in -devel I understand that dpkg-shlibdeps
would not be reporting these if my .so had no SONAME.
The .so is being built *with*
 -avoid-version -module
being passed to libtool, but libtool is seemingly ignoring that and passing
 -Wl,-soname -Wl,libliscrlua.so
to the final linker line.

Any suggestions?

--
Rodrigo Gallardo
GPG-Fingerprint: 7C81 E60C 442E 8FBC D975  2F49 0199 8318 ADC9 BC28