Re: Ubuntu-to-Debian packaging

On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 15:17 +0100, Cesare Tirabassi wrote:
> On Sunday 02 December 2007 01:34:14 you wrote:
>
> > I'd like to hear what Paul, Mirco and Cesare have to
> > say on this subject.
>
> Not being a Debian maintainer myself, I don't really feel entitled to say what
> you should do or not do about the changelog.
> Pragmatically, if the Ubuntu history is relevant to Debian (which I think
> could be the case in some cases) it would make sense to me if you retain it,
> otherwise why would you ?
> If it is just to recognise the work the previous maintainer has done, you can
> simply add a "thanks" entry to the changelog.
> But about the copyright, why would you want to make it anew ?
> If its not correct or complete (it shouldn't but of course people may make
> mistakes) just correct it or add what you need, as you do with the rest of
> the package.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cesare

Thank you for taking the time to respond Cesare,

I asked for your input not for your association with a particular group,
but because of your first-hand experience with the subject matter.

Do you feel that it is appropriate to copy someone else's changelog
entry verbatim without giving credit to the original author?  Do you
think that doing so is similar to plagiarism?  Can you understand why
the author who performed the work might feel violated?

I understand that you may not have intended to transgress, disrespect or
otherwise harm the upstream maintainer.  However, you should be aware
that your actions have consequences, and that the work performed by
others should be respected and acknowledged.

Again, thank you for taking part in this conversation.

C.J.