Re: dpkg-statoverride (Re: RFS: mediatomb -- open source (GPL) UPnP MediaServer with a web interface)

Am Donnerstag, den 08.11.2007, 20:31 -0500 schrieb Justin Pryzby:
> On Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at 10:35:00AM +0930, Paul Wise wrote:

> > > Really?  I thought this was an administrator's tool, and the postinst
> > > should do something like
> >
> > I guess I meant "chowning blindly" instead of "chown".
> >
> > I do note that a few postinst files in my /var/lib/dpkg/info/ use
> > dpkg-statoverride rather than chown.
> >
> > I guess I should reread devref/policy.
> Policy mentions this in 10.9.1; it appears that it can be correct to
> do either dpkg-statoverride --update or use chown directly, as long as
> it's conditional on does dpkg-statoverride -l $f >/dev/null.
> I note that using chown doesn't add the file to the override data,
> which I argue is a good thing due to no ambiguity about who put it
> there.

I had the same issue myself, some days ago. I wasn't sure if using chown
or dpkg-statoverride in postinst was the correct way.
You argue for not using dpkg-statoverride, policy seems to recommend it
though. Asking on #debian-devel, the answers I got were, to use
dpkg-statoverride unless I have a very good reason not to.
I think one disadvantage of using chown in postinst is, that you have a
time frame between unpack and postinst, where the binary has the wrong
the permissions. With dpkg-statoverride, dpkg will take care that the
binary has always the correct permissions.
So this is a big advantage of using dpkg-statoverride.
Admittedly it would be nice, if policy was more precise in that matter.

universe are pointed away from Earth?