dpkg-statoverride (Re: RFS: mediatomb -- open source (GPL) UPnP MediaServer with a web interface)

On Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at 10:35:00AM +0930, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Nov 9, 2007 9:43 AM, Justin Pryzby <jpryzby+d@quoininc.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at 09:35:05AM +0930, Paul Wise wrote:
> > > postinst should use dpkg-statoverride instead of chown
> > Really?  I thought this was an administrator's tool, and the postinst
> > should do something like
>
> I guess I meant "chowning blindly" instead of "chown".
>
> I do note that a few postinst files in my /var/lib/dpkg/info/ use
> dpkg-statoverride rather than chown.
>
> I guess I should reread devref/policy.
Policy mentions this in 10.9.1; it appears that it can be correct to
do either dpkg-statoverride --update or use chown directly, as long as
it's conditional on does dpkg-statoverride -l $f >/dev/null.

I note that using chown doesn't add the file to the override data,
which I argue is a good thing due to no ambiguity about who put it
there.

Justin