Re: vanity packages (was: mentors.debian.net reloading)

On Sunday 28 October 2007 07:10:57 pm Paul Wise wrote:
> On 10/29/07, The Fungi <fungi@yuggoth.org> wrote:
> > I would consider its popularity low (187 popcon installs with 46
> > votes).
>
> I consider such fringe packages to be the main benefit of using
> Debian. That is; it is the diversity (or universality) of Debian that
> is attractive and useful.
>
> --
> bye,
> pabs
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Generally, I agree. But at some point a line should probably be drawn, where
fringe packages are replaced by more popular ones. It's just a matter of
resources; every package takes space, and if only a marginal number of people
at best are using the package, it could be considered a mild waste of
resources to keep them there.

On the other hand, having "seemingly-useless" packages in the repository takes
only disk space, and almost no bandwidth, and disk space is getting cheaper
by the month. It may be worth keeping some of them around for those people
who DO decide to use them.

I suppose which of these is the best for any particular package would depend
on, and available resources, but I would say a package with under 100 popcon
installations (obviously not this one) is a candidate for examination, at
least.

--
Sincerely,
Jack Mudge

My GPG Public Key can be found at:
https://www.theanythingbox.com/pgp.htm
Signatures are appreciated, email them to me.