Re: RFS: ustr

> * Package name    : ustr
>   Version         : 1.0.1-1
>   Upstream Author : James Antill <james@and.org>
> * URL             : http://www.and.org/ustr/
> * License         : LGPL, BSD, MIT
>   Section         : libs
>
> It builds these binary packages:
> libustr-1.0-1 - Micro string library: shared library
> libustr-1.0-1-dbg - Micro string library: debugging symbols
> libustr-debug-1.0-1 - Micro string library: shared library for debugging
> libustr-debug-dev - Micro string library: development stuff for debugging
> libustr-dev - Micro string library: development stuff
> libustr-doc - Micro string library: documentation

> The upload would fix these bugs: 447269

> - Source repository: deb-src http://mentors.debian.net/debian unstable main contrib non-free
> - dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/u/ustr/ustr_1.0.1-1.dsc

> Ustr (Micro string library) is a string API for C. It has tiny overhead over
> just plain strdup(), is much safer, is easier to use, is faster for many
> operations, can be used with read-only or automatically allocated data. You
> don't even need to link to the library to use it (so there are no
> dependencies).
>
> The cdbs is used for packaging.
>
> Ustr is used in a new SELinux user space code in libsemanage, so ustr
> will be build-dependency for this probably.

Hi,

I am not a DD, so I cannot sponsor etc.

I checked your package, it builds in pbuilder, is lintian clean and it
looks good. Some random remarks:

* Linda says:

$ linda ustr_1.0.1-1_i386.changes
W: libustr-1.0-1; The library libustr is not in a shlibs file.
W: libustr-debug-1.0-1; The library libustr-debug is not in a shlibs file.
E: libustr-debug-1.0-1; Binary /usr/lib/libustr-debug-1.0.so.1.0.1
contains unneeded section comment.
E: libustr-debug-1.0-1; Binary /usr/lib/libustr-debug-1.0.so.1.0.1 is
not stripped.

* you use debian/patches to fix some things in upstream sources, that
is good. I noticed you change the upstream Makefile, but leave the
changes in the ustr_1.0.1-1.diff.gz file - why not to create a regular
patch and put that into debian/patches among your other patches?

* your sponsor will probably require to add an extra space in the
Homepage in all your descriptions:
 .
  Homepage: http://www.and.org/ustr/

or use the new Homepage field.

* uscan didn't work for me:

$ uscan --verbose
-- Scanning for watchfiles in .
-- Found watchfile in ./debian
-- In debian/watch, processing watchfile line:
   http://www.and.org/ustr/(?:\d+\.\d+\.\d+)/ustr-(.*)\.tar\.gz
Parsing of undecoded UTF-8 will give garbage when decoding entities at
/usr/share/perl5/LWP/Protocol.pm line 114, <WATCH> line 2.

and it hangs.

Ondrej