Re: mentors.debian.net reloading

> Did Ondrej say that we need a public buildd? Actually that is something
> I would ratner not do because I have certain (very bad) experience with
> it. When we kept the uploaded binary (.deb) packages our support mailbox
> was literally flooded with end-users (!) complaints that the packages
> were buggy. They used it as debian-multimedia or other inofficial binary
> package repositories. I think that making it more a PPA-style service it
> a good idea - for *source* packages. But don't you think the focus is
> still the sponsoring process? I can't think of a case where people want
> to publish Debian packages but don't want them to get into Debian.

PPA is a means how to get the packages to Debian and to ease the
process of it, for everyone. And I think we need a public PPA. Your
technical counterarguments can be solved imho, see below. Besides
those you also have a social argument - that you fear it will actually
decrease the number of new packages in Debian, or that it will
increase the number of unhappy users. I think it will actually be the
opposite, but that's just my opinion.

-------

By providing buildbots as a debian package, so that anyonce with a
computing power can just install the bot and it will automatically
start compiling the packages and uploading them to PPA etc (as to
security, I am sure that can be solved satisfactorily too).

The traffic can be solved by providing an easy packages, so that more
people can host PPA on their servers. Etc.

Basically I think all of those and similar problems can be solved, if
we want to.

> > There is of course a question who will provide the resources for
> > DebPPA.
>
> You could at least ping the experimental/backports/volatile people.

Right. But even if we don't find anyone now, who can host it, I still
would like to have those packages, so that I can at least easily
install it for myself.

> > I started:
> >
> > http://code.google.com/p/debppa/
>
> Why on code.google.com? Is Alioth not good enough?

Google has much better interface and I can create wiki pages with
documentation in there. But alioth is powered by gforge, right?

That looks quite good too:

http://gforge.org/projects/gforge/

And even seems to have wiki. Is alioth going to be upgraded?

Ondrej