Re: [HELP] New Debian-native package

On 10/1/07, David Paleino <d.paleino@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've created a little software in Gambas which lets users query the Debian BTS
> via LDAP.
> Now, since it's a Debian-specific package (maybe some time later other BTS will
> be supported, but that's not for sure), I wanted to package it as a
> Debian-native one.

Is there a reason why you want it to be native?
Are you going to host the code in alioth? Or at least in some other
place? If you are, then you will do the "releases" there, and that's
the "upstream" source.

Even though it might sound like it "makes sense" for the package to be
native, it is not necessarily a good idea. Because everytime you make
a change inside the debian/ dir, you need to upload the whole source,
as if it were a new release, when it's only a debian change. And, even
though it's now BTS specific, you never know if in the future it'll be
able to support other frameworks, and thus you'll want it to be
generic.

My suggestion is to package it as a normal package.  In your package
repository, you can include the debian/ dir, and have the -1.diff.gz
be empty.  But if you afterwards need to do a -2, -3, -4, etc, you can
do it without having to upload the whole package, only the differences
in the debian/ dir.

This is only my opinion.  I think that basically no package should be
native. Not even dpkg nor apt, nor any other Debian specific utility.
Other people think differently.

--
Besos,
Marga