Re: RFS: steam-powered

Charles Plessy wrote:
> Fortunately, the wise people who wrote the Social Contract made it
> clear:
>
>   We have created contrib and non-free areas in our archive for these
>   works. The packages in these areas are not part of the Debian system,
>   although they have been configured for use with Debian.

Unfortunately it does not seem that clear, because policy states, that
packages for its inclusion in main "must not require a package outside
of main for compilation or execution (thus, the package must not declare
a "Depends", "Recommends", or "Build-Depends" relationship on a non-main
package)".
So according to the policy (as I understand it) steam (which is - as of
what I've got from in this discussion - GPL) would go to main, as it is
*not* non-free nor does it require any non-free software to be
installed. Even if it is *used* to install non-free software, it does
not depend on it (via the usual depend mechanisms). So in sense of the
policy, steam would be a main-candidate. But it seems that here
arepeople, that either do not accept this or interpret it other then I do.

Regards,
Patrick